User Tag List

Poll: Featherweight, who wins ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny Pacquiao vs the Marco Antonio Barrera that beat the Prince... who wins ?

Erik`El Terrible`Morales Bill Butcher's Avatar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash

Manny Pacquiao vs the Marco Antonio Barrera that beat the Prince... who wins ?

I don't think Paquiao had Barrera`s number at all, I think he caught an underprepared Barrera that underrated Manny in the first blowout and faced a too far past prime Barrera in the rematch.

If the same Pacquiao stepped up to 126 to face the Barrera (that ironically was just stepping up himself) that beat Hamed then I think Barrera outboxes him. I just think he was too complete a fighter at that stage and Pacman would go down by entertaining but clear UD, a 7-5/8-4 type fight.

Thoughts ?

P4P Star

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    I think he had his number tbh, no way can I see MAB winning. Barrera doesn't match up well against boxers that were faster than him or southpaws. He beat a lefty in Hamed by boxing on the backfoot but he likes to move to his left and throw the left hook and this opens up a southpaws left counter punch. Pacquaio is neutralised as he comes in by right hand leads and counters as we saw against Marquez and Morales who both have excellent rights. Barrera's right isn't nearly as good as those 2. Not to mention Barrera isn't as big as Morales either and would be lighter in the ring against Pacquaio.

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vCash
    I'd be confident in picking Pacquaio.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    MAB would go the limit and make it close....though he would lose. The Hamed conqueror was in command of all of his skills...he'd just be battling his speed deficit.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    same result

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Pac. He might have underestimated him in the 1st fight but when Pac started hurting him Barrera simply didn't want anymore of him. I know he went the distance in the second fight and did better but Pac is simply the better fighter for me.

Prospect

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerpuncher View Post
    I think he had his number tbh, no way can I see MAB winning. Barrera doesn't match up well against boxers that were faster than him or southpaws. He beat a lefty in Hamed by boxing on the backfoot but he likes to move to his left and throw the left hook and this opens up a southpaws left counter punch. Pacquaio is neutralised as he comes in by right hand leads and counters as we saw against Marquez and Morales who both have excellent rights. Barrera's right isn't nearly as good as those 2. Not to mention Barrera isn't as big as Morales either and would be lighter in the ring against Pacquaio.
    Barrera fought some of his best fights against southpaws. Check his record. Eddie Cook, Enrique Sanchez, the kid from Hanford CA, among others.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    more competitive fight of course, the very best version of pacquiao wins by close decision
    i shook up the classic forum, with my 61 , my 205 great fucking pounds,my 2 balls and big mouth

Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    We saw Pac face Mab when he was as highly ranked as he would ever be.

Pac destroys him.

Real motherfuckin' G's Zopilote's Avatar

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Pac was all wrong for MAB IMO...He'd defo do much more better than the first fight, but Pac would take it.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    I consider Hamed both a southpaw and faster than Barrera. These opinions may be controversial.
    Last edited by LittleRed; 14-03-14 at 12:33 AM.
    I would eat [something awful] out of her [somewhere personal] and [endure hardship] just to [receive small recompense].

Yeah, i fucking hate it when someone posts tits in a thread.

-All quotes by Matt Hamish McGrain

P4P Star

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    I consider Hamed both a southpaw and faster than Barrera. These opinions may be controversial.
    Well maybe at his peak and I have oversimplified. Hamed was easy to hit with his low hands and his flatfooded style, which was a regression for him. When he was younger he was quicker, boxed on his toes and threw combinations. Making him harder to hit and harder to evade. I'd pick Hamed to beat Barrera from '94-'98

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Well maybe at his peak and I have oversimplified. Hamed was easy to hit with his low hands and his flatfooded style, which was a regression for him. When he was younger he was quicker, boxed on his toes and threw combinations. Making him harder to hit and harder to evade. I'd pick Hamed to beat Barrera from '94-'98
    I always felt Barrera had trouble dealing with a hard cross right down the middle. And that's oversimplification as well but I think the ability to land that punch consistently is what lead to the trouble with Pac and Junior Jones. But I haven't seen the Pac-Barrera fight since it happened and it's been years since I've seen the Hamed fight.
    I would eat [something awful] out of her [somewhere personal] and [endure hardship] just to [receive small recompense].

P4P Star

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    I always felt Barrera had trouble dealing with a hard cross right down the middle. And that's oversimplification as well but I think the ability to land that punch consistently is what lead to the trouble with Pac and Junior Jones. But I haven't seen the Pac-Barrera fight since it happened and it's been years since I've seen the Hamed fight.
    Yes I agree, straight punches land quicker than hooks and the left hook is MABs money punch so a really fast straight right or straight left beats him to the punch. And if you make him fight at range his long range game is nowhere near as good. Morales had a great straight right, but his wasn't quite as quick.

OP has to ask 'if Barrera could do better against Pacquaio, why didn't he do much better in the rematch?'. MAB was coming off a good run of performances coming into that one.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vCash
    Yes I agree, straight punches land quicker than hooks and the left hook is MABs money punch so a really fast straight right or straight left beats him to the punch. And if you make him fight at range his long range game is nowhere near as good. Morales had a great straight right, but his wasn't quite as quick.

OP has to ask 'if Barrera could do better against Pacquaio, why didn't he do much better in the rematch?'. MAB was coming off a good run of performances coming into that one.
    Yeah sometimes we get over concerned with words like prime. Griffith was more shot for the second Monzon fight but he did better. I think Barrera knew what to expect and was still a superb fighter for the second match. It's entirely possible that's as good as he was going to do.

Thread Information